Quantcast

my hair pipeline

Posted by rouhollah rouhollah
please click on the post title if images are cropped. some problem with this blog sorry.

here i want to shed some lights on my hair pipeline as i asked to do. btw i want to write a making of for this project includes shading and texturing too.
lets get started with a diagram and the concept behind the hairs behavior. i hope it's clear

now at the actual pipeline, groom a fibermesh on your model, when grooming just think about hair flow, no clumping here. add some flow variation to some fibers. variation always is the key.

export your fibermesh data as curves into maya. we want to use them as guide for combing and clumping.

let see our system at work. this is first set of hair combed and clumped to my fibermesh guides

second set are combed with guid curves and clumped to first set of hairs

and third set of hairs again combed with guide cerves and clumped to second hairs

finally adding flyaway crazy hairs and some randomization to combing and clumping weights. hairs width corrected too.

hope make sense. if there is something not clear please let me know. thanx and happy fibermeshing, cheers

11 Comments

andrej andrej

Re: the Beer Maker hair pipeline

very helpful thanks. the final piece is amazing
Akash Akash

Re: the Beer Maker hair pipeline

are you using Maya n Shave&Haircut for Hair generation n rendering ?
OR all the Hair creation & rendering  is done in Zbrush with Fibremesh only?
rouhollah rouhollah

Re: the Beer Maker hair pipeline

I use maya Yeti plugin and Arnold for rendering. I use fibermesh just for
creating guide curves
HoOman HoOman

Re: the Beer Maker hair pipeline

kheyli mamnoon refigh. ali bood.
Ali Ali

Re: the Beer Maker hair pipeline

Great work! Where are you living Rouhollah?
rouhollah rouhollah

Re: the Beer Maker hair pipeline

thank you Ali, currently i'm based in Tehran Iran
Julen Urrutia Julen Urrutia

Re: my hair pipeline

Wow, this explanations makes a lot of sense, and your drawing on the top helps a lot. I'm trying to pass from 3dsmax to Maya, and I am finding it a bit difficult, I would love if you finally do that "making of for this project includes shading and texturing too". It would help me a lot to learn about Maya since I am very interested in Yeti (although I wa planing on using vray for render).

The final piece looks really amazing!!
Anton Anton

Re: my hair pipeline

Hi! Thanks for the explanation of ypur pipeline. But I dont  understand how you've managed to comb to guide curves? When I try to do so Yeti complains that second input of comb node must be groom.
I must conver guide curves to groom ? If so how I can I do that ?
Vincent Vincent

Re: my hair pipeline

Please enlighten me with your knowledge! I am trying to convert my curves to groom with one of these two lines but I've never scripted before.

pgYetiConvertGuideSetToGroom( string $groom_node, string $yeti_node, string $guide_set )

or

pgYetiConvertGuideSetToGroom( string $guide_set, string $mesh_object, float $stepSize )

How exactly did you use your curves to comb ?

Thank you for your awesome step by step tutorial it is so powerful to use this pipeline.
Vincent Vincent

Re: my hair pipeline

Actually I figured out the script but I get this error // Error: pCube1 is not a mesh object, please check your parameters! //
:(:(:(:(
Vincent Vincent

Re: my hair pipeline

Ohhh god IT WORKED. I didnt realise I had to type the pCubeShape Created under the Yeti Node And not the pCube Node..